Tuesday, April 19, 2005

What do you want on your tombstone?

Gary and Ruthann Souder, one of our elders and his wife, are teaching a Sunday morning class titled "Fantastic Families". These are the perfect people to teach this class as they have developed special bonds with their own families, and all their kids are powerful leaders in their congregations. What an example for the rest of us! During class last Sunday, Gary asked the question, "What do you want on your tombstone?"

Those of you who know me, know that I am a big sci-fi nut (as in crazy and often geeky, as my kids will testify). I enjoy almost everything sci-fi, from starships to fantasy to comic book heros. Some of my favorite shows are those like "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits", which show that actions have consequences. I also enjoy monster shows. I guess it is because I know it is not true, but yet I still enjoy seeing good triumph over evil. The other day I was watching an episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer". As always, there was some impending apocalypse which Buffy and the gang had to stop, but this time Buffy sacrificed herself to save her friends, and the world. The closing scene showed her tombstone, which read, "She saved the world. A Lot." This brought me back to the question Gary asked in class, and made me think again. What epithet would I want to be remembered by when I am gone? There were many suggestions in class, usually centered around the family...fitting given the subject matter. However, I have always thought that there would be no greater honor than for those visiting my grave to read, "Here lies a servant"

"Servant" embodies so much. I speaks of an employee's relationship with his employer, a neighbor's relationship with his neighborhood. It tells a friend who he can count on. More importantly, it describes a father's relationship with his wife and children. It reminds me of who Jesus is. Matthew 20:28 says that the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve. Philippians 2:7 tells us that he made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant. The very nature of the word speaks of humility and obedience (see Philippians 2:8), and, ultimately, sacrifice.

"Lord make me a servant, make me like You."

What do you want on your tombstone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home