Sunday, December 03, 2006

TIS THE SEASON

Well, it’s that time of year again…the season to deck the halls, for jingle bells and mistletoe, snowmen and shoppers rushing home with their treasures. Everyone searches for that perfect gift that says, “this is to show you how important to me.” In a world of “black Fridays” and overextended credit cards, my biggest question each year is, “how much can I/should I spend.” As inflation takes it toll, it seems that it becomes more difficult to show just how much someone means to me with the limited amount of funds available, yet each year I am reminded that it is not how much I spend, but how much I give that counts.

How often do we ask ourselves and God, “How much do I have to give so that I have given enough?” In Matthew 19, Jesus told the rich young ruler that he should sell his possessions and give to the poor. So the real question is, “what if I give all?” Ray Boltz has written a song about a little boy that asks that very question.

What If I Give All?
Words by Ray Boltz, Music by Ray Boltz and Mark Pay
He heard the preacher say a single dime can feed a hungry boy or girl with nothing to eat.
So he pulled a dollar from the pocket of his jeans and he asked his mama how many will this feed?
She just smiled and when she told him ten he reached back again.
CHORUS:
What if I give all I have? What will that gift do?
My child, a gift like that could change the world, it could feed a multitude.
He didn’t close his eyes or turn away. I can see him standing tall.
He saw the need and I can hear him say, “What if I give all?
”Three birthday dollars could have bought a special toy,
but he reminds me of another little boy who gave to Jesus a gift of fish and bread.
I wonder if he said,
CHORUS (repeat)
And long ago a Father and a Son saw the children lost in sin.
Can you see the tears in the Father’s eyes as Jesus says to him,
"What if I gave all I have? What will that gift do?"
My Son, that gift will change the world; it will free the multitudes.
We cannot close our eyes and turn away when we hear His Spirit call.
We see the need, now let Him hear us say,
“What if I give all? What if I give all?”
©1996 Shepherd Boy Music/ASCAP (adm. by Word Music) and Screaming Toad Music/ASCAP (adm. by Addison Music).

Hearing this song, I am reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. He gave up all the glory of heaven to show us how to serve. He became humanity to show us how to serve. He suffered ridicule, persecution, and even death at the very hands of those He came to serve. He gave all He had! During this time of year, in particular, when we are reminded daily of his sacrifice, we must now ask ourselves …

“What if I give all?”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I really liked this one. It's a tough, kinda unsettling question to even ask of ourselves, but it is one to be asked everyday.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home