Wednesday, April 20, 2005

It really works!

Tonight my family attended a baseball game in Lawrence between the Wichita State Shockers and the Kansas Jayhawks. I have a nephew who is a freshman catcher for WSU and we were hoping to get the chance to see him get into the game. He didn't get to play tonight, but what a game. The score went back and forth and after nine innings, and several pitchers for each team, the Shockers held on for an 11-9 win. (Have I ever mentioned that baseball is the GREATEST game in the world?!!)

During the game, we had a conversation with a fan behind us who knew every stat on every player on the team. It seemed to be the concensus of those around that the Shockers would be a real force to reckon with for the next couple of years because of all the talented freshmen on the team. Heather overheard him mention that WSU had one of the most talented freshman catchers he had ever seen, and she couldn't help but interrupt to let him know that Tyler was our nephew. He went on about how good this kid was, but what struck me was that he said, "...and he is a good kid too."

Oh, the power of living a life for Christ! Even though this fan did not know Tyler personally, Tyler made a lasting impression because of his committment to Jesus. We never know who will be watching and what influence we might have on those we work with, live with, school with, church with, and, yes, even those who just watch us from a distance. Paul told the Ephesians "Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Eph 5:15-16)

Last year Tyler hit the winning "walk off" home run in the 6A state baseball championships to give the Goddard Lions the state title. (Have I mentioned that I love baseball?) I have a T-shirt that reads "Baseball is my game...But Jesus is my life". I have always been proud of Tyler, however, I have never been as proud of my nephew as I was at that moment tonight. I think Tyler deserves that shirt more than I do. Thank you Tyler for reminding me that we are Christians 24/7.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Carriger said...

It's great to have Christian examples in the athletic arena. Carl, I believe basketball is the greatest sport!

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home