Wednesday, July 06, 2005

There's No Place Like Home

After Hershey, PA, we headed home. We drove through Richmond, IN, about 3:30 in the morning (sorry Mike for not knocking on your door), and after a brief stop at the Indianapolis Speedway, we drove straight through to Topeka, arriving at about 6:45 p.m. The kids were real troopers, and we watched 11 straight episodes of Joan of Arcadia (again, I recommend that you buy the DVDs for your personal collection). I am so thankful that I have kids who are interested enough in improving their spiritual well-being that they are willing to watch such shows to gain spiritual nuggets of wisdom.

By the time we arrived home, I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz (not that we didn’t hear enough of those references while traveling). “There’s no place like home!” There is just something about the familiar surroundings – sleeping in my own bed, sitting on my own couch, being able to grab a soda from my own refrigerator – almost makes you never want to leave. The trip was great, but by the end of the week, I was feeling a bit homesick. We didn’t care if we saw any other sites; we were all ready to be HOME!

We need to remember that we are merely strangers, aliens, in this world. Hebrews 11:13; 1 Peter 2:11. As the song says, “I’m just a passing through”. Jesus has a place prepared for us and is just waiting for the day when He can come back to take us home. John 14:2-3.

I can’t wait to get home!
I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now
(Mercy Me, “Homesick”)

1 Comments:

Blogger David Carriger said...

Welcome Home!
Great to hear your stories along the way.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home