Friday, June 24, 2005

We’ll Leave the Light On For You

We all recognize this slogan from the Motel 6 commercials. Tom Bodett, and his down-home, charming accent, beckons us to stop in to a local Motel 6 for a comfortable room at discount prices. His invitations are effectively appealing…so much so that it almost makes you want to check in just to try it out, even without taking a vacation. The slogan itself lets you know that the folks are friendly and that you are wanted, no matter who you are. As we ready ourselves for a family vacation, we are trying to budget our funds to maximize our activities. This includes seeking out budget hotel rooms. My first thoughts go directly to Motel 6, where the “light” is always on.

As I began to wonder about lighted hotels along our vacation route, I also began to wonder, “Is my light always on?” Jesus tells us that we are the light of the world. Matthew 5:14. A light burning for all to see and piercing the darkness that surrounds us. Yet, we are not the Light, but we are simply the container for the Light, and are charged not to hide the Light. 2 Corinthians 4:4. We are to reflect the Light so that those around can see the true Light – Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:18: John 8:12. This is not always the easiest thing to do. We come up with so many reasons to hide the Light: “I don’t want to scare my friends away”; “I don’t want to offend anyone”; “Their heart is so hard they won’t see the Light anyway”; “I don’t want to others to think I have a ‘better than thou’ attitude”; “I might be rejected”; “What if they ask questions I can’t answer?”

Sound familiar? Boy they sure do to me! I have used more than one of these on more than one occasion. Yet, Jesus still charges us to shine our Light before men.

Maybe we need to adopt the Motel 6 slogan. After all, Jesus gave us His light – how can we not share that Light with others? As we travel along the highways and backroads of life, let’s be sure we leave the Light on.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

1 Comments:

Blogger David Carriger said...

Be careful on the road. We miss you guys already. Tell Geaorge W hi!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home