Monday, April 25, 2005

What if you were dying?

What would you do if you found out that you were dying and had only a short time to live? I was riding with a dear friend the other day, and he wanted me to hear a particular song that touched his heart. It is a country song by Tim McGraw titled "Live Like You Were Dying". The song talks about a man in his early 40's who found out he was dying and how his life changed dramatically. The chorus states:

"I went skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbing, I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter and I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'. And he said some day I hope you get the chance to live like you were dyin'."


My friend is going through some really troubling times and has had to re-evaluate his life and priorities. He finds this song to be encouraging and I understood that it challenged him to go out and do all the things he always wanted to do but never has. At first glance, I found the song to encourage and promote selfishness and self-centeredness, but as I look at the song, verse 2 mentions being the husband and friend he should have always been, and he began to think about eternity.

How would you live if you knew you were dying? Would you treat your family or friends any differently? Would you be more generous with your things and monies? Would you contribute more to your congregation or charity? Would you buy more things - or less? What would you do with your time? Would you work more, go to the movies more, go skydiving or bull riding? Would you reach out to those you were always afraid you would offend and tell them of Jesus? Would you spend more time with your kids and spouse and less with Raymond, Survivors, and the American Idol hopefuls? Would you keep your house cleaner, or would you leave the dishes and visit your friend in the hospital?

James 4:14 says "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." What James is telling us is that we are dying. Our life here on earth is so brief that we should live each day as if we had only 6 months to live. I challenge you to hug your children each day. Show, don't just tell, your spouse that you love her or him every chance you get. Mow your neighbor's lawn, just because. Pray for your preacher and elders that they will be bold in advancing the Gospel. And worship each day like you were going to see God tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home