Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Imitation" Christian

Ever had one of those “moments” where someone looks a certain way, or does something quirky, or when you just catch a glimpse and they remind you of your family? Once, when Heather returned from some trip, she wanted me to sit down and watch a DVD she had purchased but not yet been able to watch – “The Blue Collar Comedy Tour”. If you are not familiar with this particular comedy troupe, it includes the likes of Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Bill Engvall, and Larry the Cable Guy, all “down-to-earth”, back woods, red neck comedians. After the show, when Heather could finally pick herself up off the floor and stop holding her sides, she noted that I hadn’t laughed as much and asked if I enjoyed the show. My response was, “you know, that might be funnier if they weren’t describing MY family!”

My family may have many faults, but the greatest thing about us is that we are an extremely “huggy” bunch. We always greet each other with a hug, and often a kiss, and we always hug everyone in sight before we leave (sometimes we can’t be sure if they are family members or not – and we really don’t care). Being the youngest of 8 children, and with my mother having about 30 grandchildren, saying goodbye could last quite a while (I learned early on not to leave the car running while making the rounds). I remember once as a teenager when I went to a museum with some of my family, I turned from an exhibit, saw my short sister-in-law behind me, and turned around and gave her a big hug…only to find that I had never seen this person before in my life! I guess I am lucky that Texas is a friendly place.

Now, I am part of a much bigger family – God’s family – with brothers and sisters far and wide. (I must say that I am glad that this family is an extremely huggy bunch too.) Just like the Wheelers, we Christians have plenty of faults too, but we are truly the most loving people I have ever met. I often feel unworthy to be a part of the Central family because I know about all my faults. I want to be a better person…a better Christian…but I just can’t help but focus on my shortcomings. So I find myself asking, “how can I be a REAL Christian?” I have been reading more of the Old Testament lately and I have found that ALL of the great heroes of the Bible, both Old Testament and New Testament, had plenty of faults too. So how do we overcome our deficiencies? One way is to become an “imitation” Christian. I know this is seems to be an oxymoron (and you probably think I am a moron at this point), but please bear with me.

Whenever we want to improve ourselves, whether it is fitness, weight control, or some other goal we desire, we turn to the “experts” who have been there and have overcome. We see their success and want to do the same things so that we can achieve the same results. That is why the “self-help” industry is raking in millions every day. So, why shouldn’t we do the same with our Christian walk? John says to be careful of what we imitate. He warns, “Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God.” (3 John 11). The apostle Paul was a staunch advocate of being an imitator. He often urged the churches to imitate him (1 Corinthians 4:16-17; 1 Thessalonians 1:6, 2:14 ; Hebrews 13:7). So in our struggles, perhaps we should pick out the most faithful Christians (like the Elders) and strive to become more like them, just as they strive to be more like Christ. To be more like Christ, it will take some study, prayer, observation, and action. When we practice what we preach, we can truly become an “imitation Christian”.
“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5:1-2)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home