Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Let's Play 2

"It's a great day for a ball game; let's play two!" Ah, the immortal words of Ernie Banks. I often wish I could be at the ballpark watching a double header (have I mentioned before that Baseball is the greatest sport in the world?). Better yet, I could play a double header in softball every day. There is nothing like the warmth of the sun on your face, the feel of the grass beneath your feet, the smell of the leather mitt and taste of the dirt after a head first slide! I could spend all day at the ballpark...(if it weren't for the pesky sunburn).

Can we say the same about our worship services? I was having a conversation with a co-worker who told me emphatically that she wanted the rapture to come so she could "watch it". "I just want to stay here on earth just so I can watch, don't you?" she asked. I quickly informed her that when Jesus returns, I want to be one of the first to meet him. In her misguided idea about the end, she let me know that she wouldn't mind staying around for the "1000 year reign". When I asked why, she replied, "I don't want to do to 'church' all the time." Her idea of Heaven is that we will sit in "church" for eternity. She let me know that 45 minutes was about all she could take.

How do we feel about worship? Do we feel it is boring, a chore to attend, or at the least, an inconvenience? Perhaps we should stop focusing on ourselves and marvel at the presence of an ever-loving God, who was willing to give up everthing for us.

When Jesus returns, I don't want to be caught unprepared. I used to love baseball practice. I could use that time to relax. I got to hit the ball more than I ever could in a game. I got to field every 3rd or 4th ball hit. I got to have fun. It takes practice for anything we do to become second nature. Perhaps we should look at our worship services as practice for Heaven, when we will forever worship God. I like the words of Mercy Me's "I can only Imagine".

I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by Your side. I can only imagine what my eyes will see when Your face is before me. I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of You be still? Will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall? Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all? I can only imagine.

I can only imagine when that day comes and I find myself standing in the Son. I can only imagine when all I will do is forever, forever worship You. I can only imagine.


I hope you enjoy your worship to God. I know I do.

"Let's play two!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home