Tuesday, May 31, 2005

My Sister

I think that time zones are one of the greatest inventions in the world. From the beginning of time, time was measured by the position of the sun, and it wasn’t until 1883 that time zones were first used by the railroads to standardize their schedules. (For a complete history of Daylight Savings Time, see http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html). I like time zones because they basically allow us to “relive” the moment…to be sure that we don’t miss some of the most important things in our lives.

You see, today was my sister Charlene’s birthday. I can’t tell you for sure how old she is (nor does she want me to), but I know it is a special day for her. I have thought about her all day, but didn’t get the chance to call her until it was too late. Then I remembered TIME ZONES – it was 2 hours earlier in California and I still had a chance to catch her on her birthday. Charlene is about 15 years older than me and I don’t really remember much about living in the same house with her. By the time I was 4 or 5, she had moved out on her own, and soon moved back to California. We have kept up over the years, mainly through Mom. I still remember the summer we spent a couple of weeks with her family in California (and I still have the ceramic box of popcorn I painted to prove it). My sister has always been special to me. But what makes Charlene (and several other members of my family) really special is that she loves the Lord. I look forward to being with her always in heaven.

It wasn’t always that way. Although I was baptized into Christ at the age of 10, most of my God fearing family members came to know Christ later in life. Charlene has grown strong in her faith and I can tell that she follows Colossians 3 and sets her mind on things above. I really appreciated an email she sent about one of my former blogs. She stated:
Hey Duffer, [don't ask]
Just had a chance to check out the website above. I loved it. Please remind me when you do it again. I hadn't gotten a chance to read it before today...I did forward it to the girls as well so they can share it with their families. I am blessed to know that I have biological brothers and sisters that believe as I do (although it took me 40 years to get know Christ not just about Christ). That He lives in and through us -that His living through us affects how those around us and how they see Christ. One thing I did when I came to Christ was "watched" how those that taught me about Christ reflected their teaching in their lives. It was very insightful and I think those that really KNOW Christ preach/teach it with their everyday in every situation lives. I am blessed that He gave me the family He gave me and pray for those in the family that don't really know Christ yet. He doesn't make mistakes or say oops so each member has something to teach another if we'd only ask Him to show us what is it He wants us to learn from them and our experiences with them. There is even things God teaches us through those we didn't know (mom's 3 miscarriages and Keith). I love you and miss you a lot. Hugs and kisses to all - wish we could see each other more often but one day that won't be a problem. Have a fantastic day!
Love,
Sis Charlene

I am reminded of the laborers in the vineyard in Matthew 20. As, the story goes, the master hired some in the morning for a certain pay. Later that day he hired more for the same pay and, again, at the end of the day, he hired more, still paying them the same wage as the first workers hired.

It just goes to show – you don’t have to be in different time zones – as long as we draw breath, it is never too late.

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last." Matthew 20:16.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Carriger said...

Family members that know Jesus are so special.

Our hearts really hurt for those that don't.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home