Sunday, May 15, 2005

Self Adjustment

What a pain in the neck, literally. My neck and shoulders had been sore and stiff for a couple of weeks or more. The ache may have started by an ergonomically incorrect office arrangement or sleeping wrong on my pillow, but the real problem began with my constant attempts to correct the situation myself. When my neck would feel stiff, I would "pop" it myself, sometimes a bit forcefully. I would twist my neck every which way and yank my chin from side to side hoping that some pressure would be released and I would feel some relief – but my neck got stiffer and the pain creeped down between my shoulder blades until I could find no reprieve. Now I am not a big fan of chiropractors. For the most part, they tend to pop a few joints and tell you to come back a couple or three times a week, whether you feel better or not. But I think I have found a good one. He specializes in sports injuries and tells me to come back only if it starts hurting again. So, I called and made an appointment. He massaged the muscles of my neck and shoulders and after gently stretching my neck on each side, I felt a gentle pop in my neck. Then he released some pressure between my shoulders, and after only a couple of adjustments, I felt like a new man. One thing I didn’t understand. When I told him that it hurt on one side, he adjusted the opposite side, saying that the pain was really caused by something other than what I thought. He made the proper adjustment to cure the ailment and ease my pain. It’s amazing how good things turn out when you leave them to the professionals.

Kind of reminds me of life. It is easy to get out of whack. It is natural to try to fix the problems ourselves. But when we do, we tend to aggravate the situation: the hurt increases and the predicament quickly becomes a crisis. Soon, there is nothing we can do to resolve difficulty or eradicate the dilemma. And just when hope seems to be at an end, there is a professional who can soothe the sores of the soul. A savior who can make the proper adjustments necessary to put things back in place. A healer who understands where the hurt originates and fixes its true source, as opposed to where we feel the pain. And even though we may be sore for quite a while afterward, the pain soon subsides and we find that the master Physician truly knows best.

Put your soul, your eternal life, in the hands of THE Professional.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Rom 8:28.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home