Thursday, June 02, 2005

Planting the Seed

Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop-a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Matthew 13:3-8

Joan of Arcadia was one of my favorite TV shows. You have to get past some of the obvious faults of the show – like a multi-“religion” God, and the somewhat sarcastic dialogue – but some of the conversations between Joan and God are extremely insightful and thought provoking. The best thing about the show is that when God asks Joan to do something, we see the results, often far reaching, by the end of the show. Things don’t always (almost never) work out that fast for us, but seeing it on TV opens our minds to the possible outcomes and influences we may have when we do what God asks.

The first season (I encourage you to go out and buy it now on DVD) episode called “Double Dutch” opens with God asking Joan to learn how to jump rope. In her obedience to God, she joins some underprivileged girls jumping rope in the alley. She eventually befriends one of the girls, Casper, who lives in a homeless shelter and has no family nearby. Throughout the show Joan tries desperately to help Casper, which only backfires in the end, and Casper runs out to avoid being caught. When Joan goes back to the alley to find Casper, she learns that Casper has left town to find her father. Joan then runs into God and the following conversation takes place:

Joan - I wanted to help her, I wanted to get her a place, get her dad a job.
God - You can't fix everything, Joan.
Joan - She's my friend. I want to know what's gonna happen to her.
God - I know you do. But sometimes it's enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own.

Makes you wonder how we plant the seed every day. It is hard to think that some will reject the seed outright. At work, I like to play Christian music in my office. It keeps me focused on what is important. And I try to be the nicest, most understanding, most encouraging and most helpful person in the office. There is no way anyone could dislike me. However, a couple of weeks ago, I had a “formal complaint” filed with my supervisor that my music was too loud and I sometimes used the speakerphone, and this disturbed a certain employee. My supervisor did not take it seriously, but asked that I be more aware. A few days later I walked in on a conversation between a couple of assistants. Silence fell over the room and one woman walked out. The other, a good friend of mine, let me know that the other woman doesn’t like me. She said the other woman doesn’t like my Christian music. Now it all made sense.

I am not angry with the co-worker who filed the complaint. Instead, I am saddened that this woman would be so afraid of God’s love and God’s message that she would try to eliminate it entirely from her world. I will pray for that young woman, that God would soften her heart and that she would find her way to the cross and God’s grace. I realize that I cannot reach everyone – whether by word or example - and that some just have hard or rocky soil where their hearts should be. John warns us that the world will hate us. (1 John 3:13) I also realize that it is not my job to “reach” or to “save” people. Peter tells us that we should always be prepared to give an answer for our hope, with gentleness and respect and a clear conscience. (1 Peter 3:15-16) God has called me to continually plant the seed, which may take root and be watered by others so that God may have the increase. (1 Corinthians 3:6).

In the end, I must follow the example of Christ, who made it a habit not to give up on people.

“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” (Hebrews 12:3)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home