Thursday, August 04, 2005

I Do (round 2)

Several weeks ago I wrote about a wedding I attended between two of our friends whom we have watched grow up for the past 10 years. Last Friday, I “attended” another wedding between another lawyer I work with and his beloved. I actually had the privilege of officiating at the wedding, the first time I have had the pleasure and responsibility of such an important ceremony. The wedding was laid back – so much so that the groom wore shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. I was moved by how much the groom truly was in love with his new bride, it showed in every action that evening. But the thing that struck me the most was the realization that it wasn’t me who joined these two in marriage, but God. I felt a bit detached – out of place – from the ceremony, and not because I was wearing my suit. It still felt like I was watching the ceremony from a distance while God did all the work.

Our whole lives should feel something like that. If we get out of the way and let God take control, we can sit back and watch His plans unfold. Yes, we will be participants, but we should be instruments of God, blending harmoniously with God’s intricate plans for us and those we come in contact with, much like a cello in God’s orchestra, which blends and supports the music, but rarely takes the spotlight.

Which instrument are you?

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home