Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Do People Really Think That?

As we were waiting for court to begin, another attorney I work with and I were having a conversation between hearings. He is a very religious man, very active in his church and plays the organ/piano for every service. We often share ideas about God, prayer, and worship, and have discussions about the political impact of true Christianity in our world. We don’t always agree, but I find our discussions enlightening and challenging, as I have to re-confirm my faith and my Biblical basis on certain issues. Today he was reading a book on restoration and the conversation turned to legalism and doctrine.

I made the comment that I have encountered some Church of Christ members who, in essence, believe that certain brotherhood writers and preachers are heretics because they do not necessarily believe that members of the “Church of Christ” congregations are the only ones going to heaven. His jaw dropped and he asked, “Does the Church of Christ really believe that?” I quickly explained that only some of the members (collectively, not necessarily in Topeka) may believe that, but that ALL denominations have some members who believe that is true about their particular church. They are convinced that their interpretation of the Bible is the only one possible and that if someone does not believe exactly like they do, they couldn’t possibly enter the pearly gates. Again I emphasize that ALL churches have some who think that way – including the Churches of Christ!

I went on to explain that this is not what Jesus taught. Jesus told his followers that “[W]hoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Matthew 12:50. Jesus did not differentiate between those who may call themselves “Baptists” or “Methodists” or “Catholics” or “Evangelicals” or “Protestants”. He was simply talking about Christians! Jesus was very clear that “whoever” believes in him has eternal life. John 3:16-21. The Gospel of John specifically uses the word “whoever” 20 times throughout the book. Don’t get me wrong, the Scriptures also require baptism (Acts 2:38; Romans 6:3-4), but God’s grace and salvation is open to anyone who chooses to take up his cross daily, and follow Christ (Luke 9:23) and thereafter walk in His footsteps (1 John 1:7).

I, for one, am grateful that God has shed His grace on me. I thank God daily that He made salvation plain, simple, and free – and open to everyone and completely devoid of legalism.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home