Saturday, June 04, 2005

Live from Kansas City

I never have gotten it...why people go to concerts. Not their kids’ band or orchestra or choir concerts, but concerts of popular or famous musicians. They usually pay through the nose for tickets and often have to travel quite a distance to see their favorite band/artist. I never understood why someone would want to pay $50 or $150 or even $300 to listen to the same music they could buy on a CD for about $15…and they can listen to a CD anytime they want – forever! People keep telling me that it is not just the music: it’s the atmosphere. Granted, I have only been to a couple of live concerts (mainly because Heather wanted to go), but my idea of a concert is a dark hall where you can’t hear the words over the music, which is turned up so loud you can’t even hear yourself think. I believe that live concerts are the brainchild of the hearing aid companies, because when you leave, you can’t hear anything for several hours and you probably have permanent damage. Yeah, you might get to see some pretty lights or lasers and maybe even some smoke fill the stage, but isn’t it the music that counts?

Well, I have found that that is just not the case with Christian concerts. Today, we went to “Christian Family Day at the K”. This was the first of what I hope is an annual event at the Kansas City Royals game where you get to go and experience America’s pastime (have I mentioned before that baseball is the greatest game on earth?) and then stay after for a concert featuring a contemporary Christian singer. First of all, I noted a couple of “different” things: 1) Singing our national anthem with Josh, Heather, and Lavon all harmonizing will send shivers up your spine! and 2) the beer vendor being a bit frustrated because he wasn’t selling near as much as normal was a little humorous and satisfying. After a great game, the crowd of 19,000 thinned out to about 4,000 and we got to hear how important Jesus Christ is in the lives of several of the players and we got to see/hear Chris Tomlin perform.

To say that I now agree that it is not the music, but the atmosphere, is not exactly accurate. Chris Tomlin and his guys did a fantastic job singing familiar songs that uplift and encourage me every day when I hear them on the radio; but I can buy a CD to hear the music. It was the sight and experience of 4,000 men, women and children lifting their voices, hearts, and souls (and sometimes even their hands) to The One True God of the universe in praise and worship that truly humbled my heart and soul. Sitting in an open-air stadium, seeing the splendor of nature and observing the beautiful fountains in center field and looking on the faces of God's children in the crowd, truly made me aware of the presence of God.

I can’t wait to hear the heavenly hosts singing "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." Rev 4:8. I bet they sing in harmony.

What a way to worship!!

1 Comments:

Blogger David Carriger said...

One of the greatest moments of worship that I have experienced was an evening of praise with Dennis Jernigan in Kansas City about 5 years ago. The music from concerts can sometimes touch you like scripture does. The right words at the right time.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home