Monday, June 13, 2005

Trash Day

Mondays are trash days at our house. I am somewhat ambivalent about trash day. In the first place, it is something of a bother to take out the trash. I have troubles waking up and getting up in the mornings and so I am often running late. After I go through my usual, regular, predictable routine, I then have to go through every room in our house and collect the dirty, stinky garbage – and there is often no telling what I might find in some of the trash cans. Sometimes I feel like I need to rewash after emptying the trash cans. This also puts me further behind of schedule and I leave for work a bit later than usual. (I know, I know…”get up earlier”. But sleep is such a wonderful thing!) This morning, I was running later than usual, so I had to ask my son to help take out what I missed. And no matter how often I take out the trash, it always seems to accumulate more. But each Monday, without fail, the trash man comes to my house to haul away the dirty, filthy, rotting garbage. And it feels so good to rid our house, and our lives of such filth and clutter.

Kind of like the sin in our lives. It is sometimes such a bother to empty our “sin baskets”. It can be downright inconvenient, disrupt our “routine”, and sometimes we need help to get rid of it. Sometimes, there are sins we really don’t want to get rid of or let go of, and so our lives become more and more cluttered and the sin begins to rot our conscience and our souls. God gives us the help we need and places people in our lives who are willing and able to roll up their sleeves and help us gather the trash in our lives and carry it out to the curb. And it doesn’t matter who we are, or where we come from, or who we know, we all have sin that continues to accumulate. (Romans 3:23). But, I am grateful that God sent his one and only Son to take my sin upon his shoulders, and that, even now, God, without fail, is faithful to continually haul away the filth and garbage that darkens my soul. (1 John 1:7).

Thank you God for your patience. Thank you for second chances.

What a great and loving Father!

1 Comments:

Blogger jettybetty said...

I have been having some of the same thoughts. I am so thankful that God is willing to haul away anything I dump on Him from my sin basket.
What an incredible God we serve!
Thanks for putting these thoughts into words!
JB

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home